Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mission Accomplished!

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” Quote by John Bingham.

If you had asked me in July 09' if I wanted to run or train to be a runner I would have said no. But in August I signed up for 5k training. My main reason was to find a way to stay physically active when classes started back. Besides, a friend from work said she would do it with me.

Crossing the finish line today at the Isaac Dickson Hot Chocolate 10K was an incredible experience, even emotional. The last 1/2 mile or so was a hill that called for energy I really didn't think I had left. But with the help of my FF group cheering me on I ran across the finish line with a chip time of 1:22:02. My goal was to complete the race in 1 1/2 hour or less but my eyes couldn't even register the clock time as I neared the top. All I knew is that I couldn't stop. I had to keep going and somehow, with their help, I did.

Mile #1 I thought was this was a long mile and I only have to do it 5 more times.

Mile #2 my thoughts were if I can make it mile 3 then I will be 1/2 way done.

Mile #3 my mind said if you can make it to four, then its just one more mile to 5, and then the finish line.

Mile # 4 now just one more mile and then the goal is finish line.

Mile #5 all that's left is the finish line, just make it to there.

Mile #6 only 0.2 miles left (and it's all uphill!)

Mile #6.2 I DID IT!!!! I REALLY DID IT!!!! (this was after some water and more normal breathing).

There are lots of runners out there, very incredible athletes. I don't claim to be one of them, but I do claim to be someone that now knows what its like to set a goal, physically train for it, and see the hard work pay off on race day. Its hard for me to explain the physical, mental, and emotional processes your mind goes through during events like this 10K. What do I recommend? Find something that does that for you! It might not be running or it might be running. It may be something you've never given much thought to, but I promise when you find a niche that suits you your life will change in some way.

Next up is a 5k, training starts Feb 9. If you're interested in joining I can tell you all the details.

Already some friends and I are exploring the ideas of when (maybe later this year/fall) we want to train for a 1/2 marathon. We know it'll be hard, take much endurance, and make us feel terrible. But in the long run, every pain we feel will be worth every effort!

Thanks for reading and following my runs. I plan to sleep like a baby tonight!

1 comment:

  1. God shouts to your in your pain. That's what I hear anyway! But shin splints? Ouch!

    What's wrong with God whispering anyway?

    I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete