Sunday, January 17, 2010

5 miles @ 34° temp

Saturday 1/16/10

My running friend B texted me to say her sitter had canceled and she couldn't make it. We were both disappointed! The group was down to about nine runners even though the temp was higher than it had been for a few weeks. I got it into my head that because B wasn't there that I should try to stay with the other runners. Mistake #1. Running is an individual sport. That's what they preach to us. It isn't about what anyone else is doing, its about what works for each individual. Luckily, what works for B and I are very similar paces. But I tried to keep pace with other runners and wore myself out the first mile. Problem with that was it made for 4 difficult miles because I gave too much on mile #1. I think it was a good lesson/reminder about pacing. The hardest time to pace yourself is usually in events because there's so many people moving forward that its easy to follow the crowd, regardless of how it suits your running plan.

Another difficult part of the run was because I started having back pains earlier in the week and woke up in pain several times Friday night with it. It didn't bother me too bad while running but after finishing I realized it might have not been the best idea. Its not much better, actually worse today. I am way past due on a chiropractor visit. Hopefully he can see me this week and have me aligned for Saturdays big day.

More later on this week as my friends and I prep for the Hot Cocoa 10k!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment